2021 Virtual Commencement Celebration
Creating Opportunities for Change
Filippo Grandi addresses The Fletcher School commencement ceremony, and outstanding faculty, students, and staff are recognized
In this divided and dangerous world, wracked by climate change, violent conflicts, and the COVID-19 pandemic, it is important not to despair, but rather to “fight to make it the way it should be,” United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi told this year’s graduates of The Fletcher School.
“See the world for how it is, see through it with clinical eyes, but don’t become cynical,” he said, speaking from his office in Geneva. “Create opportunities for change.” Read More.
Fletcher 2021 Commencement: Full Ceremony
Commencement Event Information
Fletcher looks forward to welcoming friends and family of graduates, along with Fletcher alumni, to the virtual commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 23.
Wednesday, May 19
- 10:00 AM -12:00 PM EDT: Photo op with Dean Kyte and Academic Dean Gallagher in ASEAN auditorium. This is available for all 2021 graduates participating in the university’s COVID-19 testing protocol, or students who have signed up to rejoin the protocol via this link (deadline May 7). Due to state and local crowd limits and social distancing requirements, unfortunately, only our graduates may participate. Friends and family will not be able to join. Graduating students may register for a timeslot here. Registration will end on May 12th at 5:00 PM EDT.
- 8:00 PM EDT - Trivia (virtual). Register on myFletcher.
Thursday, May 20
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM EDT: Coffee with Fletcher Faculty. Login here.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM EDT: Fletcher Women’s Leadership Awards. Since 2014, this ceremony has honored outstanding Fletcher alumnae who are making meaningful impacts around the world. This year’s recipients are Benedetta Berti Alberti, F07, F11, and Akjemal Magtymova, F14. Benedetta is the Director of the Policy Planning Unit for the Secretary General of NATO and Akjemal is an MD and GMAP alum who is now Head of Office for the WHO in Syria. (virtual) Register here.
Friday, May 21
- 8:30 - 9:30 AM EDT: Coffee with Faculty. Login here.
- 9:00 - 10:00 AM EDT: Class of 2021 send off. Come together with your classmates for Fletcher trivia (with prizes!), toasts from your Class of 2021 Toastmasters, and some messages from the staff. (virtual). Register on myFletcher.
- 1:00 - 2:15 PM EDT: The Euro@20: The Way(s) Forward. Join Professor Laurent Jacque and former Karamanlis Chair, George Alogoskoufis for a conversation on the 20 year history of the Euro and what the future may hold. Dean Kyte will moderate the talk. Register here.
- 2:15 - 3:00 PM EDT: Research Center Updates. View here.
Saturday, May 22
- 9:00 - 10:00 AM EDT: Coffee with Faculty. Login here.
- 10:00 - 11:00 AM EDT: Fletcher Women’s Network Virtual Tea. Register here.
Sunday, May 23
Graduating students, family and friends, faculty, staff, and alumni are invited to register to watch the live commencement coverage. Tune in on Sunday, May 23 at 10AM EDT! Pre-register here.
For those who are unable to tune in live, a recording of the commencement ceremony will be made available following the event.
It's a virtual reunion at alumni weekend! Fletcher alumni are invited to reconnect May 20-22 over a series of social and educational events. Learn more and register.
For all media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.