Research/Areas of Interest:
Islamic Banking and Finance; International Political Economy; Business and Public Policy; Finance and Ethics
- B.A., Université Saint-Joseph, Beirut
- Diplôme de l'Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Paris
- M.A., Political Science, University of California, Berkeley
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of California, Berkeley
Ibrahim Warde is adjunct professor of international business at The Fletcher School of Tufts University. His books include The Price of Fear: The Truth Behind the Financial War on Terror, which has been translated into French, Italian, Japanese, and Czech, and was selected by Foreign Affairs as one of the best books of the year about economic, social, and environmental issues, and Islamic Finance in the Global Economy, now in its second edition. He has previously taught at the University of California, Berkeley, at MIT’s Sloan School of Management, and at other universities in the United States and abroad. He was a Carnegie scholar focusing on informal finance in the Islamic World. He is also a writer for Le Monde Diplomatique and a consultant.
He holds a B.A. from Université Saint Joseph in Beirut, Lebanon, an MBA. from France’s Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, and an M.A. and a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Areas of expertise
Globalization & Trade
International Law & Organizations
- Course Director, Euromoney Institutional Investor
- Previously taught at many institutions, including University of California, Berkeley, Davis, and Santa Cruz
- Former Director, The Fares Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies
- The Fares Center of Eastern Mediterranean Studies
Selected Publications and Presentations
- The Price of Fear: The Truth behind the Financial War on Terror, University of California Press, 2007.
- Islamic Finance in the Global Economy, Edinburgh University Press, 2000.
- Le modèle anglo-saxon en question, Economica 1997.
- The Status of Islamic Finance, in Craig Nethercott and David Eisenberg, editors, Islamic Finance : Law and Practice, Oxford University Press 2020 (Second Edition).
- “Government by the Worst,” Le Monde Diplomatique, August 2020
- “Abraaj: A Firm Too Good to be True,” Le Monde Diplomatique, November 2019.