- For Employers
Master in Global Affairs
Build purposeful skills and expertise to propel you on the fast track into an impactful global career.
- Degree Earned: Master in Global Affairs (MGA)
- Program Length: 16 Months
- Full-time or Part-time options
- Trimester schedule
- Residential with summer hybrid option
- Two to fours years of professional experience required
Why Earn a Master in Global Affairs
Fletcher’s Master in Global Affairs will provide you with a focused, yet interdisciplinary education in international relations. This degree is ideal for students who are interested in taking a deep dive into a single field of study and immediately pursue a career path in that area. You will build transferable knowledge and valuable experience in skills courses, the practicum, and internship opportunities.
Why Earn Your Master in Global Affairs at Fletcher
- Complete your degree in an accelerated time frame and return to the workforce in 16 months, ready to pursue your professional goals.
- Benefit from Fletcher’s outstanding reputation for interdisciplinary global education, which allows you to master your field of study, as well as comprehend the fields and factors that influence it.
- Gain practical experience and knowledge through the practicum course, engaging with faculty and external experts on real-world issues.
Degree Requirements and Curriculum
The MGA is comprised of 14 courses (42 course credits).
- 1 course in International Law and Organization
- 1 course in Diplomacy, History and Politics
- 1.5-2 courses in Economic and International Business (note that these courses can be used to satisfy the Field of Study requirement)
- 0.5-1 course in Quantitative Reasoning
Learn more about Fletcher course options and our three divisional classifications. Review the full degree requirements.
Part-time MGA students need to take a minimum of 2 full-credit classes (6 SHUs) per term, including during two summer terms. International students must pursue the program on a full-time basis to maintain their immigration status. Students must select the full-time or the part-time option during the admissions process. Once enrolling on a part- or full-time basis, students cannot change their enrollment status unless there are compelling circumstances. The maximum time to complete the MGA degree part time is 28 months. Students who are enrolled on a part-time basis will not be permitted to audit any courses. Part-time students should be aware that most classes at Fletcher take place during working hours.
The following is the list of skills courses that satisfy the degree requirement for the MGA. Specific skills courses may be required to satisfy the field of study.
- DHP D208M Research Methods and Scholarship
- DHP D218 Influencing Policy and the Global Debate: Writing Analysis and Opinion
- DHP D220 Processes of International Negotiation
- DHP D225 Conflict Resolution Practice
- DHP D243M Overview of Survey Methods
- DHP D245M Advanced Field Methods Research: Difficult Research Environments and Vulnerable Populations
- DHP New Advanced GIS
- DHP New Introduction to Data Science for Global Applications
- DHP P203 Analytic Frameworks for International Public Policy Decisions
- DHP P207 GIS for International Applications
- DHP P225 Design, Monitoring and Evaluation of Peacebuilding and Development Programming
- DHP P234 The Arts of Communication
- DHP P250 Environmental Problem Solving
- EIB B205 Data Analysis and Statistical Methods
- EIB B206 Data Analysis and Statistical Methods for Business
- EIB B262 Marketing Research and Analysis
- EIB B291 Leadership Building Teams, Organizations, and Shaping Your Path
- EIB E210M Quantitative Methods
- EIB E213 Econometrics
- EIB E214 International Economic Policy Analysis
- EIB E247 Econometric Impact Evaluation for Development
- ILO L215 Ethics in the Practice of Foreign Affairs
Choose 5-6 courses (required) and a practicum course.
Fields of Study are the basic building blocks of the Fletcher curriculum and enable students to develop a specific set of skills related to a functional topic or geographic area.
MGA students will complete a required practicum course in their final semester of study. Through the execution of a group project with a client, students will apply what they have learned in their degree program in a real-world context. Students will gain valuable experience, enhance their resumes, and build out their professional network. Through the practicum, students will receive faculty direction, coaching, mentoring, and feedback to ensure a satisfactory experience for all stakeholders.
Internship opportunities will be available and can be completed for credit, equivalent to one course. Fletcher staff are available to help you find an internship related to your field of study.
This program provides guidance on all aspects of career development, including building a strategic résumé, strengthening your cover letter, perfecting your interview skills, and more.
Financing Your Education
With only a 16 month commitment, the MGA is a more affordable investment in your career growth. In addition, we offer a range of financial aid options including scholarship aid, work-study and on-campus employment, federally guaranteed loans, and private educational financing. Learn more
Part-time MGA students need to take a minimum of 2 full-credit classes (6 SHUs) per term, including during two summer terms. International students must pursue the program on a full-time basis to maintain their immigration status. Students must select the full-time or the part-time option during the admissions process. Once enrolling on a part- or full-time basis, students cannot change their enrollment status unless there are compelling circumstances. The maximum time to complete the MGA degree part time is 30 months. Students who are enrolled on a part-time basis will not be permitted to audit any courses. Part-time students should be aware that most classes at Fletcher take place during working hours.