160 Packard Avenue, Medford, MA 02155
Research/Areas of Interest:
Information and telecommunications policy, especially issues of industry structure and regulation; Public policy analysis
- Ph.D., Public Policy, Harvard University
- M.P.P., Public Policy, Harvard University
- B.S., University of Pennsylvania
Carolyn F. Gideon is assistant professor of international communication and technology policy. She is also director of the Hitachi Center for Technology and International Affairs. Gideon's research focus is policy, access, and industry structure issues of information and communication technology. She has been a fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and at the Center for Business and Government at Harvard Kennedy School, and a research affiliate with the MIT Program on Internet and Telecoms Convergence.
Past experience includes assistant vice president of Parker/Hunter Incorporated, manager of Manville Personal Injury Settlement Trust, and consultant with Strategic Planning Associates (now Mercer Management Consulting). She is a member of the International Telecommunication Society, International Communications Association, Society for Benefit Cost Analysis, and president-elect of the Transportation and Public Utility Group of the American Economic Association.
Areas of expertise
International Communications & Public Diplomacy
Science & Technology Policy
- Program Committee, Telecommunications Policy Research Conference (TPRC): Conference on Communication, Information, and Internet Policy - Interdisciplinary conference of international researchers from academia, industry, government, and nonprofit organizations conference serving policy makers and members of the private sector. (2008-2011; 2014-2017)
- Executive Board, Transportation and Public Utility Group of the ASSA (2012-2016)
- President, Transportation and Public Utility Group of the ASSA (2013)
- President-Elect, Transportation and Public Utility Group of the ASSA (2012)
- Editorial Board, International Telecommunications Policy Review (2011-present)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Information Policy (2010-present)
- Research Affiliate, MIT Program on Internet and Telecoms Convergence (2003-2006)
- Fellow, Harvard Information Infrastructure Project, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and Center for Business and Government, Harvard University (1998-1999)
- Teaching Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (1995-1997)
- Assistant Vice President, Parker/Hunter Incorporated (1991-1993)
- Manager, Manville Personal Injury Settlement Trust (1990-1991)
- Consultant, Strategic Planning Associates (now Mercer Management Consulting) (1987-1989)
- The Edward R. Murrow Center for a Digital World
Selected Publications and Presentations
"The Phoneless in the Broadband Age: A Pilot Study in Massachusetts."Telecommunications Policy, October, 2012.
"Disconnecting: Universal Service on the Decline," with David Gabel. Telecommunications Policy, September, 2011.
Gideon, Carolyn. "Technology Policy by Default: Shaping Communications Technology Through Regulatory Policy." In Shaping Science and Technology Policy: The Next Generation of Research, eds. David Guston and Daniel Sarewitz, University of Wisconsin Press, 2006.
"Cybersecurity of Residential Networks in the US: A Study of Market Determinants," with Christian Hogendorn, Wesleyan University, at the FCC Office of Strategic Planning & Policy Analysis, Economic Seminar. May 17, 2017.
"Broadband Industry Structure and Cybercrime: An Empirical Analysis," with Christiaan Hogendorn, Wesleyan University. at Legal and Policy Dimensions of Cybersecurity, a by-invitation experts’ workshop, Washington, DC September 27-29, 2016.
"Broadband Industry Structure and Cybercrime: An Empirical Analysis," with Christiaan Hogendorn, Wesleyan University. 2016 NCTA INTX Academic Workshop hosted by Silicon Flatirons of University of Colorado and MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab. MIT, Cambridge, MA, May 16, 2016.
"Spillover Effects of Cyberactivism and Policy Implications," at The Ethics of Cyberactivism Workshop, University of Warwick, United Kingdom, February 21, 2014.
"Universal Service Beyond PSTN," at the FCC Workshop on the Public Switched Telephone Network in Transition, December 14, 2011.
"The Phoneless in the Broadband Age: A Pilot Study in Massachusetts - Preliminary Results," invited testimony in proceedings for the Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable. August 22, 2011.
"Competition and Innovation in Communications Technology," Keynote address at Annual Business School Conference, University Autonomous of Nuevo Leon (UANL), Monterrey, May 9, 2011.
"The Phoneless in the Broadband Age: A Pilot Study in Massachusetts - Preliminary Results," at the FCC to the Office of Chairman Genachowski, The Office of Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis, and the Wireline Competition Bureau, April 8, 2011.
"Disconnecting: Universal Service on the Decline," at the FCC to the Chiefs of Staff of Commissioners. 2010.
"Retail Prices and Facility-Based Entry into the Telecommunications Market," International Industrial Organization Conference (2005), Advanced Workshop in Regulation and Competition, 24th Annual Eastern Conference, Center for Research in Regulated Industries (2005), Telecommunications Policy Research Conference (TPRC) (2005), and American Economic Association Meeting (2006);
"The Potential for Competition in Network Communications Industries," Advanced Workshop in Regulation and Competition, 23rd Annual Eastern Conference, Center for Research in Regulated Industries (2004) and International Telecommunications Society, 15th Biennial Conference (2004);
"Sustainable Competition? A Game Theoretic Analysis of Industry Structure in Communications Networks," Democracy in a Knowledge Economy, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (2003);
"Limits to Certainty on QoS Pricing and Bandwidth," (co-author) Telecommunications Policy Research Conference (TPRC) (2001).
"Broadband Industry Structure and Cybercrime: An Empirical Analysis," with Christiaan Hogendorn. SSRN, 2015.
"Safety in Numbers? The Effect of Network Competition on Cybersecurity," with Christiaan Hogendorn, SSRN, 2014.
"Retail Prices and Facility-Based Entry into the Telecommunications Market," with David Gabel. Economics of Networks Abstracts Working Paper Series, SSRN, Vol. 2, No. 44, December 6, 2005.
"Pricing, Exit and the Potential for Competition in Network Markets." SSRN, February, 2007.