Close Menu
Headshot of James Stavridis

Welcome to Fletcher!  As a 37-year veteran of the U.S. Navy myself, I am very proud of ALL of our veterans here at this marvelous school of international relations.  I believe that your experience in the armed forces will enhance your studies here, and hopefully contribute to finding just the right fit for you after you graduate.  I am looking forward to meeting you and hope that The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy is all that you hope.  See you around the school and thank you for your service,

Admiral James Stavridis, USN, (Ret)
Dean Emeritus, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy

Certification Information

Your Eligibility for VA Educational Benefits

At Fletcher, the majority of our current VA students are studying using the Chapter 33: Post 9.11 GI Bill benefit

In order to obtain more information regarding your eligibility for other VA educational benefits, such as Chapter 30: Montgomery Bill, please refer the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Using Your VA Benefit for Your Fletcher Degree Program

New Students

Once your VA benefit application is approved and you receive the Certificate of Eligibility statement from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, you need to complete the following steps in order to certify the use of your benefit for the first time at Fletcher:

  1. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Fletcher School's VA Certifying officer, Reiko Ohmura, via email or in-person (office location: Registrar's Office at 212 Goddard). Once you select to utilize your VA benefit for your Fletcher study, you are strongly recommended to contact Reiko Ohmura as soon as you receive your Certificate of Eligibility.
  2. The certifying officer will evaluate and verify your VA benefit details and certify your tuition, fees and Yellow Ribbon award through the VA ONCE database.
  3. Provisional credit information of your VA benefit will be sent to the Tufts University Bursar's Office based on your Certificate of Eligibility information. The amount of the expected VA benefit will be reflected in your university account as "Pending Credit."
  4. After receiving your certifying information, the VA transfers your educational benefit directly to your Tufts University financial account. 

Continuing Students

  1. At the end of the semester, students receive a "VA Academic Status Report Form." Students need to submit the form to Reiko Ohmura (office location: Registrar’s Office, 212 Goddard, Email: via email or in-person in order to update his/her academic progression as well as the remaining VA educational benefit duration.
  2. Based on the information on the form as well as your VA benefits eligibility, Reiko Ohmura will certify your tuition, fees and Yellow Ribbon award (if applicable) for the upcoming semester through the VA ONCE database.
  3. Reiko Ohmura will then request that the Tufts University Bursar's Office enter a provisional credit of the VA benefit amount for each eligible student.
  4. After receiving the certifying information, the VA will transfer the educational benefit directly to the student's Tufts account. It will be listed as "VA BENEFIT." If the student is eligible to receive the Yellow Ribbon award, it will be listed as "Fletcher Scholarship."

Educational Benefit

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Payment Rates can be found here.

Yellow Ribbon
The current Yellow Ribbon Scholarship award at Tufts is $5,000 annually for students enrolled in the the Fletcher School. Additional information can be found here.

What is my total?
This link goes to a private site and may not have the most current university costs or VA benefits data. It should be used as an estimate of your benefits and cross referenced against your specific school’s tuition and fees.

Useful Links

Medical Benefits

Useful links

For questions regarding health benefits, please contact:

  • Steven Shepard, OEF/OIF/OND Transition Patient Advocate, Department of Veterans Affairs, 617-894-7684
  • Susan Keating, Insurance Coordinator, Tufts Health Services, 617-627-3349
  • GI Bill Hotline:  888-GIBILL-1 (Within the U.S.) OR 001-716-857-3196 (Outside the U.S.)

Current Veteran Students: