On the quantitative experience
I came to Fletcher with the intent of taking quantitate classes in order to gain skills I never was able to develop in my professional/undergraduate degree. I was quietly dreading taking classes so out of my comfort zone, but my fears were completely unfounded. Financial Statement Management taught by Professor Lawrence Weiss is my favorite class of the semester. The professor's enthusiasm and approachability makes every class a wonderful experience and the material easier to comprehend. The professor pulls examples from domestic and international relations, which demonstrate the relevance of these skills in many different fields. The quantitative and analytical skills I am learning have immediate impact in my competitiveness for summer jobs/internships. I have already incorporated terms and lessons from his class into my cover letters and job applications.
On the Office of Career Services
The Office of Career Services (OCS) has been a wonderful asset since I've started at Fletcher. I was extremely interested in the State Department internship for the summer, but did not know where to start or how best to approach it. To my pleasant surprise, OCS held an information session about this specific internship in which both a diplomat-in-resident and a current State Department fellow spoke at length about how to make your application competitive. OCS also pointed out the current Fletcher students who had served with the State Department over the summer and I found them to be extremely happy to help with my application materials.
Activities involved in at Fletcher
- Fletcher Humanitarian Action Society
- Fletcher Students in Security
- International Migration Group
- South Asia Society
- Tufts University Refugee Assistance Program
Education before Fletcher
- Bachelor of Arts, World Politics, Hamilton College
Experience before Fletcher
- Immigration Case Manager, International Business Machines (IBM), Durham/NC/USA
- Reception and Placement Case Manager, United States Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, Raleigh/NC/USA
- AmeriCorps Member, Lutheran Services Carolinas, Raleigh/NC/USA