On the MA
As a mid-career student, I was looking for a flexible, one-year program that would allow me to customize my graduate school experience and take the classes that I knew would most help me achieve my career goals. I wanted to advance my knowledge of sustainable international development, natural resource management policy, and non-profit/public sector leadership, and Fletcher was one of the few places I found where I could pursue all three interests. I was particularly impressed by the Center for International Environmental Policy and the work of its affiliated faculty, staff and fellows. Last, but certainly not least, I was drawn by the school's excellent reputation and diverse, international student body.
On career services
My impressions thus far of Fletcher's Office of Career Services are extremely positive. Coming from a large, public, resource-constrained undergraduate university, I am impressed by the wide-range of services that are offered. Though not a requirement for master of arts students, I opted to participate in the weekly Professional Development Program because resume writing, networking and marketing one's self are life-long learning skills that always have room for improvement. I think it is fantastic that Fletcher offers this as a free resource for graduate students. The OCS also offers regular workshops and employer information sessions, which are excellent opportunities to find out about how different organizations are structured and what they are looking for in an applicant.
Activities involved in at Fletcher
- Fletcher Green
- International Development Group
- Latin America Group
- Net Impact
Education before Fletcher
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, concentration in Intercultural Communication, minor in Spanish, University of California, Santa Cruz
Experience before Fletcher
- LASPAU, Harvard University, Sr. Communications and Development Officer, Cambridge, MA
- Rainforest Alliance, Communications and Development Manager, San Jose, Costa Rica
- Sarapiqui Conservation Learning Center, Program Coordinator, Sarapiqui, Costa Rica