James J.F. Forest, Ph.D. is a professor in the School of Criminology and Justice Studies at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. He is also a visiting professor at The Fletcher School at Tufts University and co-editor of the internationally distributed journal Perspectives on Terrorism. He has taught courses and seminars on terrorism, counterterrorism, and security studies for a broad range of civilian, law enforcement and military audiences for over two decades. Dr. Forest has previously served as a Senior Fellow for the U.S. Joint Special Operations University (2010-2019) and as a faculty member of the United States Military Academy (2001-2010), six of those years as Director of Terrorism Studies (in the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point) and three years as Assistant Dean for Academic Assessment. He has served as an expert witness for terrorism-related court cases, and has provided testimony and briefings to the intelligence community and committee hearings of the U.S. Senate.
Dr. Forest is a member of the editorial board for several scholarly journals. He has also published dozens of articles in journals such as Terrorism and Political Violence, Contemporary Security Policy, Crime and Delinquency, Perspectives on Terrorism, the Journal of Strategic Studies, the Cambridge Review of International Affairs, Democracy and Security, the Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, and the Journal of Political Science Education. Dr. Forest has been interviewed by many newspaper, radio and television journalists, and is regularly invited to give speeches and lectures in the U.S. and other countries.
He received his graduate degrees from Stanford University and Boston College, and undergraduate degrees from Georgetown University and De Anza College.
Twitter: @JJFForest @Perspectives_T
- International security studies
- Homeland security
- Weapons of mass destruction
Dr. Forest has published 20 books, including:
- The Terrorism Lectures, 3rd Edition (Nortia Press, 2019; 2nd Ed. 2015; 1st Ed. 2012)
- Essentials of Counterterrorism (Praeger, 2015)
- Homeland Security and Terrorism (McGraw-Hill, 2013, with R. Howard & J. Moore)
- Intersections of Crime and Terror (Routledge, 2013)
- Weapons of Mass Destruction and Terrorism (McGraw-Hill, 2012, with R. Howard)
- Countering the Terrorist Threat of Boko Haram in Nigeria (JSOU Press, 2012)
- Influence Warfare (Praeger, 2009)
- Handbook of Defence Politics (Routledge, 2008, with I. Wilson)
- Countering Terrorism and Insurgency in the 21st Century (Praeger, 2007)
- Teaching Terror: Strategic and Tactical Learning (Rowman & Littlefield, 2006)
- The Making of a Terrorist: Recruitment, Training and Root Causes (Praeger, 2005)