160 Packard Avenue, Medford, MA 02155
Research/Areas of Interest:
Corporate Bankruptcy; Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Doctorate, Business Administration, Harvard University
- Bcom, McGill University
- MBA, McGill University
Lawrence A. Weiss is professor of international accounting at The Fletcher School of Tufts University. His research focuses on three themes. The first is the reorganization of financially distressed firms. He is a recognized expert on U.S. corporate bankruptcy and has testified before the U.S. Congress on bankruptcy reform. The second is how managers gather and use information for decision making. The third is the transition from country specific accounting standards (Local GAAP) to one set of global standards (IFRS). He has over forty publications, has been cited over 1,000 times and won the All Star Paper award from the Journal of Financial Economics. He is the co-author of "Corporate Bankruptcy: Economic and Legal Perspectives" (1996).
Professor Weiss earned his B.Sc., a diploma in public accounting and MBA from McGill University and his D.B.A. from Harvard Business School. Prior teaching appointments include Georgetown University, The University of Lausanne, HEC, MIT-Sloan School of Management and INSEAD.
Areas of expertise
- Professor of Accounting and Control (2006-2010), Georgetown University
- Professor of Accounting and Control (2002-2006), The University of Lausanne, HEC
- Visiting Professor of Accounting Economics and Finance (1999-2003), M.I.T. Sloan School of Management
- Associate Professor of Accounting and Control (1993-2001), INSEAD
- Assistant Professor of Accounting (1989-1993), Tulane University, Freeman School of Business
- Journal of Financial Economics, All Star Paper Award (2002)
- MIT - Sloan School, Teacher of the Year (1999-2000)
- Tulane University, Faculty Honor Roll for Excellence in Teaching (1989)
- EIB B207 Financial Statement Management
Selected Publications and Presentations
Value Destruction in the New Era of Chapter 11. (co-author) Forthcoming at The Journal of Law Economics and Organizations Volume 29, 2013.
On the relationship between inventory and financial performance in manufacturing companies, (co-author) International Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 28, No.9, 2009, pages 789-806.
International Journal of Operations Management. "Value Creation and Days of Supply in Major Pulp and Paper Companies (co-author) (2006)," Paper and Timber.
"Information Problems, Conflicts of Interest and Asset Stripping: Chapter 11's Failure in the Case of Eastern Airlines (co-author) (1998)" The Journal of Financial Economics.
"Corporate Bankruptcy: Economic and Legal Perspectives (co-author) (1996)" Oxford University Press.