160 Packard Avenue, Medford, MA 02155
Research/Areas of Interest:
International Business and Economics
- B.A., McGill University
- M.A., The Fletcher School
- MALD, The Fletcher School
- Ph.D., The Fletcher School
G. Richard Thoman, professor of practice of international business, is the managing partner of Corporate Perspectives, a New York corporate strategy advisory and investing firm. He also teaches at Columbia University, and is a visiting professor and leader in residence at CEIBS, the leading Chinese business school.
Thoman is one of the few individuals to have been a “top five” executive for four Fortune 75 U.S. corporations in three different industries. He was president and chief executive officer of the Xerox Corporation. Prior to joining Xerox, Thoman was a senior vice president and chief financial officer of IBM and served as IBM’s number two executive. Prior to joining IBM, Thoman was president and chief executive officer of Nabisco International, and chairman and chief executive officer of American Express Travel Related Services (the current American Express Corporation).
Thoman serves on a number of business and educational boards. He is a past member of the Business Council and Business Roundtable, as well as a regular management member or past board member of IBM, American Express RJR Nabisco, Xerox, Fuji Xerox, Daimler Chrysler, Union Bancaire Privee, Club Med, Bankers Trust, and a current member of Schneider Electric. He serves on the boards of The Fletcher School (where he is chairman), the CEIBS the International Advisory Board, the Americas Society, the Council of the Americas, the French American Foundation, the McGill University International Advisory Board, McGill University School of Business Board, the INSEAD International Council, the Committee for Economic Development, and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Commission.
He received his B.A. from McGill University, a graduate degree from the Graduate Institute of International Studies (Geneva, Switzerland), and three graduate degrees (including a Ph.D.) from The Fletcher School.
Areas of expertise
- Over thirty-five years of senior executive business experience. Positions include: Corporate Perspectives, Managing Partner (2002-present)
- Evercore Partners, Senior Advisor (2001-2002)
- Xerox Corporation, President and Chief Executive Officer (1999-2000) and President and Chief Operating Officer (1997-1999)
- IBM Corporation, Senior Vice-President, CFO (1995-1997), Senior Vice President (1994-1995)
- Nabisco International, President and CEO (1992-1994)
- American Express, Chairman and co-CEO, Travel Related Services ((1989-1992), President, Travel Related Services International (1985-1989), Executive Vice President and CFO, Travel Related Services (1979-1985)
- McKinsey and Company, Senior Associate (1972-1979)
- Member of the Board of Directors for DaimlerChrysler AG, Union Bancaire Privee, the Americas Society
- Member of the Board of Advisors for Deutsche Bank Capital Partners, The Fletcher School, Yale School of Management, INSEAD, and the French American Foundation