Close Menu

The questions that follow pertain specifically to the MA program. Please also review the general Admissions Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.

What type of students are in the MA program?

Students in the MA program are mid-career professionals, typically on sabbatical or leave of absence from government ministries, the military, international organizations or from private business.

Can I attend the MA program part-time?

No. The MA is a full-time, residential program. The Global Master of Arts Program (GMAP) which combines residencies and internet-mediated instruction is designed so that students can continue working while pursuing their degree.

How many years of experience do I need for the MA program?

Typically MA candidates have eight or more years of professional experience.

What type of international experience do I need for the MA program?

International experience is not required, but it is strongly recommended. There is no rigid requirement as to length or nature of international experience, but students should have a demonstrated interest in the international environment.

I am looking to change careers; is the MA right for me?

If you are an experienced professional planning to transition from one job to another in the same or a related field, and at the same time want to obtain new skills and knowledge to enhance your career, then the MA is a program to consider. However, if you hope to make a fairly significant career change then you may want to consider a two-year program. The two-year MALD program provides students with more time and coursework to gain the appropriate skills and knowledge to make a transition to a new field more realistic. Additionally, the two-year program allows students to pursue an internship between the first and second year.

What are the foreign language requirements of the program?

Students are not required to demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English, but do have the option to demonstrate foreign language proficiency.

Students who choose, and successfully complete, this option will have their passing results noted on their Fletcher transcript. Since the Fletcher course load is demanding and does not leave much time for language study, students wishing to receive this optional credential generally need to have a solid foundation in a foreign language before enrolling.

English proficiency is demonstrated through the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE examinations, or by having graduated from an undergraduate institution where the primary language of instruction is English.

What are the standardized test requirements for the MA program?

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is not an application requirement for the MA program. Applicants who wish to submit score reports as part of their application are welcome to do so.

If you are an international student and your native language is not English and you have not earned a university degree where English was the primary language of instruction, then you are required to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic). For more information about standardized testing, please visit the Admissions section of our website.