International Political Economy
About The Field
The field of IPE analyzes the interactions between international political and economic dynamics. It consists of a set of interdisciplinary approaches to analyze structures and processes of globalization and economic integration, as well as the interactions between domestic and international political and economic phenomena. It tries to overcome the artificial separation between politics and economics, between states and markets, and between domestic and international levels of analysis. Recent empirical research has concentrated on issues such as structural adjustment, regional economic integration, state-business relations, Third World development, multinational corporations, and the institutions of international economic governance.
Students should refer to the Registrar's Field of Study Guide for definitive field requirements in a given academic year.
Outside the Classroom
- Much Less Wrong: Stern, Nordhaus, and the Economics of Climate Change
- The Past, Present, and Future of Policy Planning
- In Motion: Intersections of Economics & Migration
- Mutual Gains Approach: Recent Experiences in International Context
- China's Economic Statecraft Toward Southeast Asia
- EU After the Great Recession
- Implications of the Bubble Economy
- The Nigel Evans Lecture: Europe, United We Stand. Challenges Described from the Inside
- Charles Francis Adams Lecture: Kevin Rudd, former Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Australia
- The Final Frontier: The Convergence of Economics, Geopolitics, and Cyber
- U.S. Department of Commerce - Washington, DC
- U.S. Trade and Development Agency - Washington, DC
- Asian Development Bank - Manila, Philippines
- U.S. Mission to the European Union, Foreign Commercial Service - Brussels, Belgium
- Delegation of the European Union, Trade Division - Washington, DC
- Development Innovations - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Resonate - Kigali, Rwanda
- University of Namibia Law School - Windhoek, Namibia
- International Justice Mission - Washington, DC
- Greater Boston Legal Services - Boston, MA
- Chatham LLC - Minneapolis, MN
- ILO Cairo Decent Work Team - Cairo, Egypt
- "Investing under Uncertainty: Advancing our Understanding of Political Risks in Emerging Markets"
- "Funding Small Scale Social Innovation Ventures in India - A Case Study"
- "Myanmar Microfinance Market Entry Assessment"
- "The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act impact on U.S. Investment Abroad"
- "Market Transition Playbook: Transitioning from Licensed to Owned Market in 2018"
- "Impact of the Federal Reserve's Monetary Policy on the Reserve Bank of India's Monetary Policy in the Post Crisis Period"
- "How Should Oman Continue its State-Support Programs for Women Working in the Handicrafts Industries?"
- "A Study of Filipino Remittances: Development Opportunities and Governance Challenges"
- "The National Interest and Country Positions in International Climate Negotiations"
- "Tilting the Scale: Exploring the Role of Governmental Regulation in Managing the Global Obesity Epidemic"
- "Meet the New Boss? The Changing Role of Youth in Tunisian Politics, 2010- 2014"
- "The Time to Act is Now: Arctic Fisheries Management in the 21st Century"
- "The High Cost of Borrowing: An Analysis of the Determinants of High Interest Rates in Brazil"
- International Development Club
- ASEAN Society
- Asia Club
- European Affairs Society
- Fletcher China Studies Society
- Fletcher Diplomacy Club
- Fletcher Finance Club
- Fletcher Net Impact
- International Business Club
- Latin America Group
- Mediterranean Group
- Post-Soviet Nations Club
- South Asia Society
A Fletcher education is highly customizable, and each student may decide on a different academic trajectory to suit his or her own professional and academic goals. To get a better sense of how these individual curricular decisions can play out, we asked recent students in their final semester to talk about their goals, their classes, and the decisions made during their Fletcher career. Meet Hillary:
Peace Corps Volunteer, Benin
Portfolio Analyst, NEPC Investment Consulting, Cambridge, MA
Fields of Study
International Political Economy
Trade Policy and Economic Integration in West Africa
Post-Fletcher Professional Goals
International economic policy with a focus on developing countries