The WPF is an operating foundation affiliated solely with the Fletcher School. It aims to provide intellectual leadership on issues of peace, justice and security and provides financial support only for projects that it has initiated itself.
The World Peace Foundation was established by Edwin Ginn, a Boston-based publisher of educational texts and an advocate for international peace. Created initially as the International School of Peace on July 12, 1910, the WPF was tasked with educating a global audience about the ills of war and promoting international peace.
The original 1910 articles of incorporation state:
In 2011, the World Peace Foundation established a program at The Fletcher School at Tufts University, the first graduate-only school of international affairs in the United States, under Executive Director Alex de Waal. In line with the educational and practical vision of its founder, today the Foundation aims to provide intellectual leadership on issues of peace, justice and security. We believe that innovative research and teaching are critical to the challenges of making peace around the world, and should go hand in hand with advocacy and practical engagement with the toughest issues. As the Foundation enters its second century, our underlying theme is reinventing peace for the globalizing world.
The WPF does not make grants to outside organizations and individuals.
Learn more about the history of the WPF and its people today.
World Peace Foundation
Fletcher School, Tufts University
169 Holland Street, Suite 209
Somerville, MA 02144
Tel: (617) 627-2255