In coordination with other Committees at Fletcher, the Academic Dean and the Executive Associate Dean for Student Affairs, the Committee on the Ph.D. Program directs the doctoral program. It is the policymaking body of the Ph.D. program. The committee:
- Reviews all successfully defended Dissertation Proposals. It may approve, reject or conditionally approve any proposal pending additional information.
- Decides outcome of the following student petitions:
- extension of Ph.D. candidacy
- approval of Ph.D. dissertation proposals
- change of reader
- change of title from original proposal
- change of timing/examiner of comprehensive exams
- deferring beginning the Ph.D. Program
- reader exceptions (i.e., two non-Fletcher readers)
- reinstatement to Ph.D. degree candidacy
- transfer credit toward the 5th semester (the CSAP committee also reviews this petition)
- Determines internal and external admission to the program
- Nominates doctoral students for internal/fellowships that require school/institutional selection. Application deadlines for these awards are announced on the listserv. Nominees are drawn from the pool of applicants and not from the entire doctoral student body.
Membership is comprised of at least four professors (one of whom serves as the chair), two Ph.D. student reps elected by the Ph.D. students in the spring, the Associate Registrar, the Sr. Associate Director of Admissions, and the Director of the Ph.D. Program.