* PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON FOR UPDATED INFORMATION FOR INCOMING FALL 2014 STUDENTS *
Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exam Selection Overview
If you haven't already completed the Survey Monkey New Student (Januarian) Information Online Form and indicated the specific foreign language selection which you plan to take for your exam, please be sure to complete this online form by December 15: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Januarian.
- All students receiving degrees from The Fletcher School must possess the ability to speak a foreign (second) language sufficiently well to exchange ideas in conversation with a native speaker and the ability to read and restate into English primary materials on contemporary topics involving foreign affairs.
- Foreign nationals whose native language is not English, and who have received a substantial portion of their education in their native language, may have English accepted as their second language. Generally, these students will have completed the TOEFL (Test of English as a Second Language) exam.
- Incoming January 2014 students whose native language is English must take the written Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exam at the first offering. For students starting in Spring 2014, the first opportunity to take this exam is Friday, February 7, 2014.
- If you are unable to take the first offering of this exam (February 7, 2014) due to a conflict, please contact Ann Marie Decembrele, Associate Registrar, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The foreign language options for the Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exam include: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified Characters), Chinese (Traditional Characters), French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, and Urdu.
To review more detailed information about the Foreign Language Requirement, as well as Sample Language Exam Text, please review this section of the Fletcher website: http://fletcher.tufts.edu/Academic/Foreign-Language-Requirement.
Foreign Language Degree Requirement
- All Fletcher students whose native language is English must demonstrate the ability to read and comprehend and to speak a second language by passing the written Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exam, as well as the Oral Exams offered by The Fletcher School.
- The Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exams are offered three times each year in late September-early October, February, and late March-early April.
- Entering students are strongly encouraged to attempt the Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exam when they first arrive. The best way to prepare for the Foreign Language Reading Comprehension Exam is to read and summarize English foreign journal and newspaper articles on contemporary topics involving foreign affairs.
- Oral Foreign Language Exams may be scheduled with one of our approved oral examiners at any time during a student’s enrollment at Fletcher however, we encourage all students to fulfill this requirement as soon as possible.
- Please contact Ann Marie Decembrele, Associate Registrar (email@example.com), for specific questions about the foreign language requirement.