Nellas, 2017, Greece
- Bachelor in Naval Science, Hellenic Naval Academy
- Master of Science in Applied Physics, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California (Received Outstanding Thesis Award)
- Master of Arts in Security Studies, Civil Military Relations, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California
Experience before Fletcher: Ι am Ioannis Nellas, a surface naval warfare officer of the Hellenic Navy. During my years of service on warships, mainly on frigates, I participated in a number of international missions under the auspices of NATO and the UN. I was fortunate enough to experience early on the importance of ‘Building International Bridges’. In addition, I held management positions where I understood the modern challenges of leadership.
My current academic interest focuses on dynamic capabilities, an entrepreneurial concept in conjunction with contemporary maritime security related issues. At last, I consider my studies in International Relations at the Fletcher School as a great opportunity to enrich my skills in a globalized world which is countering significant security challenges.
- Nikitakos, N. & Nellas, I., “Dynamic Capabilities in maritime security: A useful tool to shipping companies”, Journal of NATO Maritime Interdiction Center, Vol.1, No.10, September 2015, pp.16-20.
- Nellas I. “ Poia i veltisti stratigiki antimetopisi tis pirateias”, Navy Review, Issue 579, Vol 172 , March 2012, p. 71-75.
- Nikitakos, N. & Nellas, I., “Maritime ICAO, Perhaps an answer to Maritime Terrorism”, Journal of NATO Maritime Interdiction Center, Vol.1, No.4, November 2011, pp.30-33.
- Nussbaum, D. & Nellas, I., “Regional Capacity Building ”, Journal of NATO Maritime Interdiction Center, Vol.1, No.3, May 2011, pp.16-18.
- Bruneau, T. &. Nellas, I., (2010). “Capacity Building as an answer to Piracy”, Journal of NATO Maritime Interdiction Center, Vol.1, No.2, November 2010, pp.53-55
Refereed journal conference papers:
- Nikitakos, N. & Nellas, I. “Dynamic Capabilities in maritime security. An answer to emerging security challenges”, European Conference on Shipping, Intermodalism & Ports - ECONSHIP 2015, Chios, Greece, June 2015.
- “Regional Capacity Building (RCB) in Countering in maritime Terrorism and Piracy, Influence to Future Maritime Interdiction Operations, Food for thought Paper”, 2nd Conference, NMIOTC, Crete, JUNE 2012.
- Bordetsky, A. & Nellas, I. “Capacity Building as an Answer to Piracy”, 16th International Command & Control Research & Technology Symposium, Quebec, Canada, June 2011.