What is The Visa Stamp in your Passport?

The visa stamp placed in your passport by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate shows the period during which you may enter the United States. If the date on the visa stamp expires while you are in the U.S., it need not be renewed until after you leave the country and wish to return again, provided that you maintain your legal status throughout your entire stay in the U.S. This means that you must possess a valid visa document at all times (i.e. Form DS-2019, Form IAP-66, Form, Form I-20, TN Visa Stamp, Employment Authorization Document, etc.). The visa document is only valid if you remain in full-time student status.

The I-94 Card (Arrival/Departure form)

When you enter the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa status (J-1, F-1, H-1, O-1, TN, etc.) you are issued an I-94 card at the port of entry. This card is also known as the Arrival/Departure form. It is a small white card usually stapled to your passport. The card displays the port of entry, visa type, and date of arrival. The I-94 card will usually have “D/S” written on it, which stands for Duration of Status. The I-94 card may also have a date on it. The date usually corresponds to the expiration date of your visa document. On occasion, however, the Immigration Inspector at the Port of Entry may write a date shorter than your intended stay if he/she feels that you did not provide appropriate or complete visa documentation. Always review what is written on the I-94 card each time you enter the U.S. If a date other than D/S is written on the card, immediately contact Reiko Morris, International Student Advisor, at reiko.morris@tufts.edu or 617-627-3055. When you leave the U.S., you will need to give the I-94 card to the airport official. You will be given a new card upon re-entering. Please remember to provide the International Student Advisor with a copy of the card every time you re-enter the U.S. It is not necessary to relinquish your I-94 card if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico or any other contiguous territory for a period of less than 30 days.