Traveling to Contiguous Territories

“J” & “F” visa holders can travel to contiguous territories with an expired visa stamp provided that their valid visa document (DS-2019 or I-20) has been signed by the International Student Advisor within a four-to-six month period. An expired F or J visa stamp will be considered automatically revalidated for re-entry from Canada, Mexico or other contiguous territories if you:

  • Are planning to re-enter the U.S. within a 30-day period
  • Are re-entering the U.S. to continue in the same visa type and have maintained and intend to resume your “J” or “F” visa status
  • Present a recently signed DS-2019 or a signed I-20 Form
  • Have a valid passport, valid six months beyond your intended stay in the U.S. as stated on your visa document (i.e. DS-2019 or I-20)
  • Have a valid or expired “F” or “J” visa stamp in your passport

If you are a national of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, North Korea or Cuba, you are not eligible to obtain a new visa stamp in a contiguous territory nor will you be able to re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa stamp. If you have been made subject to special registration, it may be risky for you to try to obtain a U.S. visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy in a contiguous territory.

We are in the midst of constant USCIS changes relating to travel. Changes in traveling and re-entering to contiguous territory are expected. It is always advisable to check with the International Student Advisor prior to traveling outside of the U.S. including travel to contiguous territory.


Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands. Adjacent Islands are: Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Leeward Islands (Anguilla, Antigua, Guadeloupe, Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts and The British Virgin Islands), Martinique, St. Pierre & Miquelon, Trinidad & Tobago, Windward Islands (Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent), as well as other British, French or Dutch Territories or Possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea.