The Fletcher School and the Institute for Business in the Global Context (IBGC) are involved in a wide range of entrepreneurship initiatives and partnerships. Learn more about these activities:
Fletcher D-Prize Poverty Solutions Venture Competition
The Fletcher D-Prize Poverty Solutions Venture Competition is for those who want to launch a new social enterprise in the developing world. As opposed to many other competitions, D-Prize is not about coming up with the next new poverty solution, but figuring out the best way to distribute the effective solutions already in existence -- solar lamps, vaccines, among many others -- to those who could most benefit from them in the developing world. Winners will receive up to $20,000 to pilot their new venture, with an additional $10,000 in-kind support. In order to participate, at least one member of the team either be a current student or graduate of The Fletcher School.
Learn More About Fletcher D-Prize
Meet 2017 Winners ComeOnGirls
Meet 2016 Winners Kumwe Logistics
Meet 2015 Winners SponsorHer!
Meet 2014 Winners Clair de Lune
Need some more help working through your D-Prize plan or another entrepreneurial idea you've been kicking around? Enlist the help of The Fletcher School's Entrepreneur Coach, Rockford Weitz. A Fletcher alum (MALD and PhD) and veteran of numerous successful start-up ventures, Rockford is on campus to lend a helping hand to innovation in the Fletcher Community.
Learn more about Rockford
Office Hours will be held in Cabot 603A every Friday from 10:00 AM-12:00PM. You may also make an appointment for coaching by contacting: email@example.com
As Entrepreneurship Coach, Rockford will help students and alumni:
- Think through business, social, and policy ideas where entrepreneurship or intrapreneurship could be part of the solution
- Create business plans, go-to-market strategies, and presentations to potential customers and investors
- Connect with potential customers, potential investors, and service providers that an help aspiring Fletcher entrepreneurs turn their ideas into viable enterprises
Tufts $100K New Ventures Competition
A university-wide event, the Tufts $100K New Ventures Competition draws entries from recent alumni, faculty, staff, undergraduate and graduate applicants from across the university. In April 2017, Fletcher team Adelante Shoes took first place in the Social Venture Track. Peter Sacco, F'17, has gone on to expand his social enterprise, which hand-makes top of the line leather shoes while providing a living-well wage for its Guatemalan craftspeople. As winner of the Tufts $100K Social Venture Track, Peter is participating in the Tufts California roadshow in October, meeting with potential investors and venture capitalists. Other Fletcher teams have had success in the past, with two Fletcher School teams receiving Honorable Mention in the Social Impact track in 2014, including the Audience Appreciation Award for D-Prize winner Clair de Lune.
Learn More About the Prize and the Tufts Gordon Institute
Read about Adelante Shoes in the Boston Globe
From time to time, IBGC and other groups on campus with bring entrepreneurship to the forefront through lectures, conferences, and other events. The Fall 2017 semester is chock full of opportunities to embrace the entrepreneurship ecosystem at Fletcher and Tufts:
- Venturing Social Evening | Wednesday, September 20, 2017 | 5:30-8:30pm | Tamper Cafe | Register
- Fletcher D-Prize Poverty Venture Solution Competition Launch | Monday, September 25, 2017 | 12:30pm | Mugar 200 | Register
- Tufts New Ventures Competition | Info session for Tufts Competitions | Wednesday, September 27, 2017 | 12:00pm | Venture Lab, 574 Boston Ave.
- Tufts Venture Lab | Deadline to submit for the University's first co-working space for student-run startups | October 3, 2017 | 574 Boston Ave. | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fletcher D-Prize Info Session | Thursday, October 19, 2017 | 6:30-8:30pm | Crowe Room
- Tufts Ideas and Ricci Prize | Competition Deadlines | Deadlines TBA
- Fletcher D-Prize Prep Session | Thursday, November 2, 2017 | With Rocky Weitz, Entrepreneurship Coach in Residence | 6:30-8:30pm | Crowe Room
- Fletcher D-Prize | Deadline to submit concept note | Tuesday, November 7, 2017 | Learn More