Courtney J. Richardson (李康云) is a Ph.D. candidate at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University. She also holds a joint appointment as a research fellow with the International Security Program at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and a nonresident predoctoral fellow with the Global Peace Operations Program at the Center on International Cooperation, New York University. Courtney's dissertation -- The Chinese Mirror Has Two Faces? Explaining China's Approach to UN peacekeeping -- explores Chinese participation in peacekeeping as a means to understand broader trends in Chinese foreign and security policy. She has completed fieldwork in New York, Beijing, and Shanghai, including an internship with the policy planning team at the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations.
Courtney has published in International Peacekeeping and with the Central Party School Press in Beijing. She earned her B.Sc. (Hons) in International Relations from the London School of Economics and Political Science and her M.A. in Security Policy Studies from the George Washington University. She is also a graduate of the Middlebury College Chinese Summer Language School, where she was a Katherine Davis Fellow. For the academic year 2009 - 2010, Courtney was a Graduate Institute for Teaching Fellow at The Fletcher School, teaching in the Role of Force in International Politics. Prior to her doctoral studies, Courtney worked at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C., and Jane's Information Group in London.Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- The Konosuke Matsushita Memorial Foundation Research Grant (2011)
- Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs Fellowship, Harvard University (2011 – 2012)
- Center on International Cooperation Fellowship, New York University (2009 – 2012)
- Dana Laird Memorial Fellowship, The Fletcher School, Tufts University (2011 - 2012)
- International Security Studies Program Doctoral Fellowship, The Fletcher School, Tufts University (2009 - 2010)
- John Perry Fellowship for Asia Studies, The Fletcher School, Tufts University (2008 - 2009)
- Office of the Provost Fellowship, Tufts University (2007 - 2009)
• Courtney J. Richardson, "A Responsible Power? China and the UN Peacekeeping Regime," International Peacekeeping 18, 3 (June 2011): 288 - 299.BOOK CHAPTERS
• Courtney J. Richardson, "A Responsible Power? China and the UN Peacekeeping Regime," in Marc Lanteigne and Miwa Hirono (editors), China's Evolving Approach to Peacekeeping (London: Routledge, 2012).
• Courtney J. Richardson, "Contributors to UN Peacekeeping: The Comparative Case of China," in Zhao Lei (editor), The Cutting-edge Issues of China's Participation in UN Peacekeeping Operations (Beijing: Shishi Press, 2011). [in English and Chinese].Faculty Advisor(s)
• Alan M. Wachman
• Alastair Iain Johnston (Government Department, Harvard University)
• Daniel W. Drezner (Chair)
• Ian Johnstone