- MS, National Intelligence University
- MSSc, National Sun Yat-sen University, Taiwan
- BS, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- AA, Defense Language Institute-Foreign Language Center
Gary Sampson is a Ph.D. student and Commandant of the Marine Corps Fellow at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University. His research is focused on elucidating the role of China in North Korea’s nuclear weapons decision making since the rise of Kim Jong-un. Gary is an 18-year veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and has enjoyed assignments in Japan, Taiwan, Hawaii, California, and Colorado prior to moving to Boston.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
Fields of Study
- Sasakawa Peace Foundation Non-Resident Fellow, Pacific Forum CSIS, Honolulu, HI, 2013-2016
- Member, Program for Emerging Leaders (5th Cohort), Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C., 2012-2016
- Second prize, Major General Harold W. Chase Prize Essay Contest for Boldness and Daring, Marine Corps Association and Foundation, 2015
- Overseas Graduate Study Fellowship and Regional Travel Stipend, George and Carol Olmsted Foundation Scholar (Class of 2009) at National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2009-2011
- International Security Studies
- Pacific Asia
• Review of Red China’s “Capitalist Bomb”: Inside the Chinese Neutron Bomb Program, by Jonathan Ray, Studies in Intelligence 59 no. 3 (September 2015 online).
• “On Independent Company Command: 300 Days of Sunshine a Year,” Marine Corps Gazette 99 no. 2 (February 2015): 59-63
• “Going Beyond Joint: Building Interagency Warriors,” Marine Corps Gazette 99 no. 12 (December 2015): 37-41
• “China Marines Anew: It is Time for the ‘China Hands’ program,” Marine Corps Gazette 97 no. 10 (October 2013): 74-8CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
• “Wither the Nuclear Umbrella? U.S. Nuclear Assurances to Japan in a Changing Northeast Asian Security Environment.” Project on Nuclear Issues 2013 Capstone Conference, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Omaha, NE, March 2014.
• “Wither the Nuclear Umbrella? U.S. Nuclear Assurances to Japan in a Changing Northeast Asian Security Environment.” Project on Nuclear Issues Summer Conference, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Albuquerque, NM, July 2013.OP-EDS
• Book review of 21st Century Knox: Influence, Sea Power, and History for the Modern Era, edited by David Kohnen, The Strategy Bridge, September 7, 2016.
• “War Books Profile: Major Gary J. Sampson, USMC,” War Council blog, August 21, 2016.
• "Seven Professional Development Tips for Military Officers and Security Professionals," War Council blog of the Modern War Institute at West Point, December 2, 2016.PhD Dissertation
- The role of China in North Korea’s nuclear weapons decision making