- PhD, Bournemouth University, UK
- BSc, Oxford Polytechnic
- Director, Darfur Program, Feinstein International Center, Tufts University (2004 – present)
- Co-editor of the journal Disasters: The Journal of Disaster Studies, Policy and Management (1998-present)
- Technical Editor of RNIS: Report on the Nutrition Situation of Refugees and Displaced Populations (1999-2001), Senior Food and Nutrition Advisor, Oxfam GB (1995-1998)
- Research and technical consultancies with WFP, FAO, UNICEF, Sudan Emergency Operations Consortium, Oxfam GB, and the World Bank
- Livelihoods, vulnerability and protection in conflict affected regions in Sudan, and Darfur in particular
- Pastoralism, climate variability and conflict; and migration, environment and transnational livelihoods
- Nutrition situation of refugees and displaced populations worldwide
- Nature and characteristics of nutritional vulnerability and its determinants in complex emergencies
• "Looking beyond food aid to livelihoods, protection and partnerships: strategies for WFP in the Darfur state," Disasters (2007)
• "Trade, Migration and Remittance Flows In Times of Conflict and Crisis: A Case-Study of Darfurian Livelihoods and Libya," International Migration Review (2007).
• Young, Helen. "Public Nutrition in Emergencies: An Overview of Debates, Dilemmas and Decision-making." Disasters 23, no. 4 (1999): 277-384.
• Young, Helen and Susanne Jaspars. "Nutrition, Disease and Death in Times of Famine." Disasters 9, (1995): 94-109.
• Young, Helen and Susanne Jaspars. "Food distribution in emergencies, from nutritional needs to political priorities." Good Practice Review 3, (1995).BOOKS
• Reference Levels and Decision-making : Review of Nutrition and Mortality Indicators for the IPC September 2009, Integrated Phase Classification System.
• Livelihoods, Power and Choice: The Vulnerability of the Northern Rizaygat, Darfur. Medford MA: Feinstein International Center, Tufts University.Medford MA (January 2009).
• Livelihoods, Migration and Remittance Flows In Times Of Crisis And Conflict. Case-studies from Darfur, Sudan Humanitarian Policy Group, Overseas Development Institute.
• Meaning and Measurement of Acute Malnutrition, A Primer for Decision-Makers. 2006. Humanitarian Practice Network, Overseas Development Institute.
• Darfur 2004/2005 Livelihoods Under Siege. Feinstein International Center, Tufts University.
• Young, Helen and Susanne Jaspars. Nutrition Matters - People, Food and Famine. Intermediate Technology Publications, 1994.
• Young, Helen. Food, Scarcity and Famine, Assessment and Response. Oxfam Academic, 1992.CoursesSPRING TERM