- CandPolit, University of Copenhagen
- MA, University of Rochester
- PhD, University of Rochester
Carsten Kowalczyk is Associate Professor of International Economics. He is Honorary Professor at Aarhus University. He has taught at Harvard University, Dartmouth College, and Pennsylvania State University. He has consulted for the WTO, the World Bank, and Microsoft. He is on the Midwest International Economics Group Scientific Board, and he is the Book Review Editor for the Review of International Economics. He has been a Visiting Fellow at City University of Hong Kong, and a Faculty Research Fellow at the NBER. He received the James L. Paddock Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1995, and an Award for Outstanding Instruction from the Global Master of Arts Class of 2002. He is editor of Economic Integration and International Trade and The Theory of Trade Policy Reform, and author of numerous articles in professional journals, including in the American Economic Review, Economic Theory, Economica, International Economic Review, Journal of International Economics, and Review of International Economics. He holds a Cand. Polit. (Economics) from the University of Copenhagen, and an M.A. and PhD (Economics) from the University of Rochester.Professional Activities
- Honorary Professor, Aarhus University
- Visiting Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Dartmouth College
- Visiting Instructor of Economics, Pennsylvania State University
- Book Review Editor, Review of International Economics
- Member, Scientific Board, Midwest International Economics Group
- Visiting Fellow, City University of Hong Kong
- Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Consultant, WTO, The World Bank and Microsoft
- International trade
- International economic integration
- Game theory
• Kowalczyk, Carsten, Hideo Konishi and Tomas Sjöström. "Global Free Trade Is in the Core of a Customs Union Formation Game." Review of International Economics 17, no. 2 (2009): 304-309.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Raymond Riezman. "Free Trade: What Are the Terms-of-Trade Effects?" Economic Theory 41, no. 1 (2009): 147-161
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Liberalizing Trade between Large and Small: The Welfare from Three Different Strategies." The Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting and Economics 13, no. 2 (2006): 173-181.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Reforming Tariffs and Subsidies in International Trade." Pacific Economic Review 7, no. 2 (2002): 305-318.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Tomas Sjöström. "Trade as Transfers, GATT, and the Core." Economics Letters 66, no. 2 (2000): 163-169.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Welfare and Integration." International Economic Review 41, no. 2 (2000): 438-494.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Trade and Its Role as Policy for Development." Praxis XIII no. 1 (1997): 5-5.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Norway: The Trade Effects of European Integration: A Comment." The World Economy 17, no. 5 (1994): 697-700.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Tomas Sjöström. "Bringing GATT into the Core." Economica 61, no. 243 (1994): 301-317.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Monopoly and Trade Policy." Journal of International Economics 36, (1994): 177-186.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Susan Skeath. "Pareto Ranking Optimal Tariffs under Foreign Monopoly." Economics Letters 45, no. 3 (1994): 355-359.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Integration in Goods and Factors: The Role of Flows and Revenue." Regional Science and Urban Economics 23, no. 3 (1993): 355-367.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Paradoxes in Integration Theory." Open Economies Review 3, no. 1 (1992): 51-59.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Trade Negotiations and World Welfare." American Economic Review 79, no. 3 (1989): 552-559.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten, Lars Hörngren and Anders Vredin. "Dollarkursen - mysterium eller strukturfenomen?" Ekonomisk Debatt 13, no. 3 (1985): 171-176.BOOKS
• Kowalczyk, Carsten, editor. "The Theory of Trade Policy Reform." International Library of Critical Writings in Economics. Cheltenham, U.K.: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., 2001.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten, editor. "Economic Integration and International Trade." International Library of Critical Writings in Economics. Cheltenham, U.K.: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., 1999.BOOK CHAPTERS
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Raymond Riezman. "Trade Agreements." In Palgrave Handbook of International Trade, eds. Daniel Bernhofen, Rodney Falvey, David Greenaway and Udo Kreickemeier, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. "Free Trade between Large and Small: What's in It for the Large Country? What's in It for the Small?" In Contemporary and Emerging Issues in Trade Theory and Policy: Frontiers of Economics and Globalization Vol. 4, ed. Sugata Marjit and Eden Yu, Bingley, U.K.: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd., 2008.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten, Hideo Konishi and Tomas Sjöström. "Free Trade, Customs Unions, and Transfers." Social Science Research Network: The Fletcher School, July 2003.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Tomas Sjöström. "Trade, Transfers, Developing Countries, and the Core." In Recent Developments in International Trade: Theoretical and Empirical Investigations, eds. Seiichi Katayama and Kaz Miyagiwa, Kobe: Kobe University, 2003.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten and Donald Davis. "Tariff Phase-Outs: Theory and Practice from GATT and NAFTA." In The Regionalization of the World Economy, ed. Jeffrey A. Frankel, University of Chicago Press, 1998.
• Kowalczyk, Carsten. ''An Extension of Harsanyi's Formalization of Zeuthen's Bargaining Model - and a Critique.'' In Økonomiske Essays, Copenhagen: Akademisk Forlag, 1984.CoursesFALL TERMSPRING TERMAwards
- Award from the Global Master of Arts Class of 2002 for Outstanding Instruction, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, July 2002
- Recipient, 3rd Annual James L. Paddock Award for Excellence in Teaching, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, May 1995
- Salzburg Seminar Presidential Fellow, 1993