- BA, University of Colorado
- MA, University of Michigan
- PhD, Economics, University of Tennessee
Robert Nakosteen is a Visiting Professor of Statistics. He is also a Professor of Economics and Statistics at the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. His research focuses on the econometrics of labor markets, especially the measurement of labor market outcomes following a major life decision (such as moving, marriage, or divorce). He has published in a variety of academic journals, including Economic Inquiry, the Journal of Regional Science, the Journal of Population Economics, and the Journal of Human Resources, among others. He is a frequent Visiting Researcher at the University of Umeå in Sweden, where he works with the extensive socio-economic and demographic data bases available there. His other research track is the area of national and state economic performance. He is the Executive Editor of MassBenchmarks, a quarterly review of economic news and commentary focused on the Massachusetts state economy. In addition to statistics, he teaches micro- and macroeconomics, and business forecasting.Professional Activities
- Professor, Isenberg School of Management, UMASS, Amherst (on faculty since 1985)
- Director of Masters Programs in Business (1992-1999) Isenberg School of Management, UMASS, Amherst
- Executive Editor, Massachusetts Benchmarks, a quarterly review of economic news and commentary (1997-present)
- Forecast Manager for the state of Massachusetts, New England Economic Project (1999-2002)
- Consulted for: Credit Suisse, Zurich; U.S. Department of Defense; International Bankers School
- Teaching Awards received at UMASS, Amherst: Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Management, 2001
- Academic Outreach Award, 2002-2003
- President’s Public Service Award, 2003-2004
- MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2004, 2005, and 2006
- The microeconomics of labor markets
- demographic economics
- economic indicators analysis
- business and economic forecasting
• "Migration and Self Selection: Measured Earnings and Latent Characteristics,” forthcoming, Journal of Regional Science Vol 48, Issue 4, October 2008 (with Olle Westerlund and Michael A. Zimmer).
• "Health-Related Disabilities and Matching of Spouses: Analysis of Swedish Population Data,” (co-author) Journal of Population Economics, (September 2005).
• "The Role of Technology-Based Strategic Actions in the Performance of New Firms,” (co-author) IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, (August 2005).
• "Ranking Industry Performance in the U.S.,” (coauthor) Socioeconomic Planning Sciences (2005).
• "The Effects of Regional Migration on Gross Income of Labor in Sweden,” (co-author) Papers in Regional Science, (July 2004).
• "Marital Matching, Earnings, and Labor Force Participation: Evidence from the Unmarried Population in Sweden,” (co-author) Journal of Human Resources, (Fall 2004).
• "Labor Force Participation and Information Sharing by Married Couples: An Interracial Comparison,” (co-author) Journal of Economics (2003).
• Active Labor Market Programs and Regional Mobility of Labor: Evidence from the Swedish Recession, 1994 - 1995," Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 30, Number 2, April 2012 (with Olle Westerlund, and Michael Zimmer).
• "All in the Family: Self Selection and Migration by Couples," forthcoming, Papers in Regional Science (with Kent Eliasson, Olle Westerlund, and Michael Zimmer).
• "See the future by looking at the past: predicting divorce with pre-marital earnings," Applied Economic Letters, Vol. 18, Number 11, 2011 (with Johanna Åström, Olle Westerlund, and Michael Zimmer).
• "Twice Chosen: Spouse Matching and Earnings Among Women in First and Second Marriages," Social Science Journal (with Johanna Åström, Olle Westerlund, and Michael A. Zimmer), Vol . 50, No. 5, September 2013, pp. 277-288.