- BA, University of Colorado
- MA, University of Michigan
- PhD, Economics, University of Tennessee
- Professor, Isenberg School of Management, UMASS, Amherst (on faculty since 1985)
- Director of Masters Programs in Business (1992-1999) Isenberg School of Management, UMASS, Amherst
- Executive Editor, Massachusetts Benchmarks, a quarterly review of economic news and commentary (1997-present)
- Forecast Manager for the state of Massachusetts, New England Economic Project (1999-2002)
- Consulted for: Credit Suisse, Zurich; U.S. Department of Defense; International Bankers School
- Teaching Awards received at UMASS, Amherst: Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Management, 2001
- Academic Outreach Award, 2002-2003
- President’s Public Service Award, 2003-2004
- MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2004, 2005, and 2006
- The microeconomics of labor markets
- demographic economics
- economic indicators analysis
- business and economic forecasting
• "Migration and Self Selection: Measured Earnings and Latent Characteristics,” forthcoming, Journal of Regional Science Vol 48, Issue 4, October 2008 (with Olle Westerlund and Michael A. Zimmer).
• "Health-Related Disabilities and Matching of Spouses: Analysis of Swedish Population Data,” (co-author) Journal of Population Economics, (September 2005).
• "The Role of Technology-Based Strategic Actions in the Performance of New Firms,” (co-author) IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, (August 2005).
• "Ranking Industry Performance in the U.S.,” (coauthor) Socioeconomic Planning Sciences (2005).
• "The Effects of Regional Migration on Gross Income of Labor in Sweden,” (co-author) Papers in Regional Science, (July 2004).
• "Marital Matching, Earnings, and Labor Force Participation: Evidence from the Unmarried Population in Sweden,” (co-author) Journal of Human Resources, (Fall 2004).
• "Labor Force Participation and Information Sharing by Married Couples: An Interracial Comparison,” (co-author) Journal of Economics (2003).
• Active Labor Market Programs and Regional Mobility of Labor: Evidence from the Swedish Recession, 1994 - 1995," Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 30, Number 2, April 2012 (with Olle Westerlund, and Michael Zimmer).
• "All in the Family: Self Selection and Migration by Couples," forthcoming, Papers in Regional Science (with Kent Eliasson, Olle Westerlund, and Michael Zimmer).
• "See the future by looking at the past: predicting divorce with pre-marital earnings," Applied Economic Letters, Vol. 18, Number 11, 2011 (with Johanna Åström, Olle Westerlund, and Michael Zimmer).
• "Twice Chosen: Spouse Matching and Earnings Among Women in First and Second Marriages," Social Science Journal (with Johanna Åström, Olle Westerlund, and Michael A. Zimmer), Vol . 50, No. 5, September 2013, pp. 277-288.CoursesSPRING TERM