- MPP, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BA, University of California, Berkeley
- MPH, University of California, Berkeley
Eileen F. Babbitt is Professor of International Conflict Management Practice and Director of the International Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Program at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. She is also a Faculty Associate of the Program on Negotiation at the Harvard Law School and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. Her research interests include identity-based conflicts; coexistence and trust-building in the aftermath of civil war; and the interface between human rights concerns and peacebuilding. Her practice as a facilitator and trainer has included work in the Middle East, the Balkans, and with U.S. government agencies, regional intergovernmental organizations, and international and local NGOs. Before joining the Fletcher faculty, Professor Babbitt was Director of Education and Training at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C. and Deputy Director of the Program on International Conflict Analysis and Resolution at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University.
Professor Babbitt’s latest publications include the forthcoming article, “The Evolution of Internaional Conflict Resolution: From Cold War to Peacebuilding.” Negotiation Journal, 25th Anniversary Issue, and Human Rights and Conflict Resolution in Context: Colombia, Sierra Leone, and Northen Ireland. Co-edited with Ellen Lutz and published by Syracuse University Press.
Dr. Babbitt holds a Master’s Degree in Public Policy from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, and a Ph.D. from MIT.Professional Activities
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
- International Studies Association
- International Society for Political Psychology
- Women in International Security
- International Association for Conflict Management
- Alliance for Peacebuilding
- Program on Human Rights and Conflict Resolution
- The Program in International Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Institute for Human Security
- Intergroup and ethnic conflict
- Trust building and conflict prevention
- Coexistence and reconciliation
- Conflict resolution
- International development
- Human rights
• Babbitt, Eileen. "The Evolution of International Conflict Resolution: From Cold War to Peacebuilding." Negotiation Journal, 25th Anniversary Issue (Fall 2009).
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Mediating Rights-Based Conflicts: Making Self-Determination Negotiable." International Negotiation 11, no. 1 (2006).
• Babbitt, Eileen, Ellen Lutz and Hurst Hannum. "Human Rights and Conflict Resolution from the Practitioners' Perspective." The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs (Winter/Spring 2003).
• Babbitt, Eileen and Tamra Pearson d'Estree. "Women and the Art of Peacemaking: Data from Israeli-Palestinian Interactive Problem-Solving Workshops." Political Psychology 19, no. 1 (1998): 185-210.
• Babbitt, Eileen, Lawrence Susskind and Phyllis N. Segal. "When ADR Becomes the Law: A Review of Federal Practice." Negotiation Journal 9, no. 1 (1993): 59-76.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Gulf War Mediation Efforts Offered Too Little, Too Late." Negotiation Journal 9, no. 1 (1993).BOOKS
• Babbitt, Eileen and Ellen Lutz. Human Rights and Conflict Resolution in Context: Colombia, Sierra Leone, and Northern Ireland. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2009.
• Babbitt, Eileen and Kristen Williams. Complimentary Approaches to Coexistence Work: Focus on Coexistence and Human Rights. Brandeis University: Coexistence International, 2008.
• Babbitt, Eileen and Louis Aucoin. Improving Transitional Justice: An Assessment of Progress in the Former Yugoslav States. Belgrade, Serbia: United Nations Development Program, 2006.
• Hannum, Hurst and Eileen Babbitt. Negotiating Self-Determination. Lexington Books, 2006.
• Commissioned by Mrs. Sadako Ogata, ed. Imagine Coexistence: Assessing Refugee Reintegration Efforts in Divided Communities. Geneva: UN High Commissioner on Refugees, 2002.
• Babbitt, Eileen, Beatrix Schmelzle and Liza Chambers. Strategic Choices In the Design of Truth Commissions. Washington, D.C.: Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School and Search for Common Ground, 2001.
• Babbitt, Eileen and Paul Hazell. Teaching Negotiation in the Professional Discipline of International Relations. Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School, 2000.
• Babbitt, Eileen, Paula Gutlove and Lynn Jones. Handbook of Basic Conflict Resolution Skills: Facilitation, Mediation, and Consensus Building. Cambridge, MA: The Balkans Peace Project, 1994.
• Babbitt, Eileen. Beyond Neutrality: The Use of Leverage by Powerful States as Mediators in International Conflict. Doctoral Dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, (Dissertation Committee: Lawrence Susskind, MIT, Chair; Howard Raiffa, Harvard University; Herbert Kelman, Harvard University), 1993.
• Babbitt, Eileen, Tom Princen and Jim Arthur. Issues Affecting Interveners in Disputes. Cambridge: American Academy of Arts and Sciences, The Program on the Processes of International Negotiation Working Paper Series, WP-11, 1987.
• Babbitt, Eileen and Lawrence Susskind. Resolving Public Disputes: Interactive Teaching of Negotiation and Dispute Resolution in the Public Sector. Cambridge, MA: Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School, 1987.
• Babbitt, Eileen.The Development of Teaching and Research Materials for the Study of the Processes of International Negotiation. Cambridge: American Academy of Arts and Sciences, The Program on the Processes of International Negotiation. Working Paper Series, WP-1, 1986.
• Babbitt, Eileen. Principled Peace: Conflict Resolution and Human Rights in Intra-State Conflicts. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. (Forthcoming)BOOK CHAPTERS
• Babbitt, Eileen and Pamela Steiner. "Combining Empathy with Problem-Solving: The Tamra Model of Facilitation in Israel." In Building Peace: Practical Lessons from the Field, eds. Craig Zelizer and Robert Rubenstein, Sterling, VA: Kumarian Press, 2009.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Conflict Resolution and Human Rights: Pushing the Boundaries." In The Handbook of Conflict Resolution, ed. Zartman, I.W., et al, San Francisco: Sage Publications, 2008.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Negotiating Self-Determination: Is It a Viable Alternative to Violence?." In Negotiating Self Determination, eds. Hurst Hannum and Eileen F. Babbitt , Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2006.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Self-Determination as a Component of Conflict Intractability: Implications for Negotiation." In Negotiating Self Determination, eds. Hurst Hannum and Eileen F. Babbitt, Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2006.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "What Do We Know About Peacebuilding?." In Peacebuilding After Peace Accords: The Challenges of Violence, Truth, and Youth, eds. Borer, Tristan A., John Darby and Siobhan McEvoy-Levy, Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2006.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Evaluating Coexistence: Insights and Challenges." In Imagine Coexistence: Restoring Humanity After Violent Ethnic Conflict, ed. I. William Zartman, J.W. Wiley, 2003.
• Babbitt, Eileen, Jacquelyn K. Davis and Christof Kurz. "The European Union and Crisis Management: Lessons Learned from Operation Alba." In European Security Institutions: Ready for the Twenty-First Century?, eds. Robert Pfaltzgraff and Jaqueline K. Davis, Tufts University: Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis in association with the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, 2000.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Challenges of International Diplomatic Agents." In Negotiating on Behalf of Others: Advice to Lawyers, Business Executives, Sports Agents, Diplomats, Politicians, and Everybody, eds. R.H. Mnookin and L.E. Susskind, Sage Publications, 1999.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Ethnic Conflict in Pivotal States." In The Pivotal States, eds. Robert S. Chase, Emily B. Hill, and Paul Kennedy, W. W. Norton & Co., 1999.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Contribution of Training to Conflict Resolution." In Peacemaking in International Conflict, eds. Zartman and Rasmussen, United States Institute of Peace Press, 1997.
• Babbitt, Eileen and Tamra Pearson d'Estrée. "An Israeli-Palestinian Women's Workshop." In Managing Global Chaos: Sources of and Responses to International Conflict, eds. Chester A. Crocker, Fen Osler Hampson with Pamela Aall, Washington, D.C: United States Institute of Peace, 1996.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "Mediation Practice on the Home Front: Implications for Global Conflict Resolution." In Beyond Confrontation: Learning Conflict Resolution in the Post-Cold War Era, eds. John A. Vasquez, Sanford Jaffee, and Linda Stamato, University of Michigan Press, 1995.
• Babbitt, Eileen. "The Power of Moral Suasion in International Mediation: A Profile of Jimmy Carter." In When Talk Works, eds. Deborah M. Kolb, et al., Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1994.
• Babbitt, Eileen and Lawrence Susskind. "Overcoming the Obstacles to Effective Mediation of International Disputes." In Mediation in International Relations: Multiple Approaches to Conflict Management, eds. Jacob Bercovitch and Jeffrey Rubin, London: Macmillan/St. Martin’s Press, 1992.OP-EDS
• Babbitt, Eileen. "How NATO can Redefine Victory in Kosovo." The Boston Globe, 8 May 1999.CoursesNOT CURRENTLY OFFERED