- BSc, Sheffield University
- PhD, Soil Science, Sheffield University
- Head of Regional Office, Bangkok. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (2000-2002)
- Director, (1995-2000) and Director (1991-1994) Disaster Policy. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Geneva (1995-2000)
- Operations Development Officer. League of Red Cross/Red Crescent Societies, Geneva (1990-1991)
- Country Director, ActionAid Ethopia (1988-1990)
- Writes the blog Getting Humanitarian Aid Right
- Climate change and globalization as it effects crisis occurrence
- The evolution of the international humanitarian system
- The management of trans-national NGOs
• Maxwell, D., S. Bailey, P. Harvey, P. Walker, C. Church, and K. Savage. "Preventing Corruption in Humanitarian Assistance: Perceptions, Gaps and Challenges." Disasters 36, no 1 (2012) 140-160.
• Kennedy, E., P. Webb, P. Walker, S. Saltzman, P. Maxwell, M. Nelson, and S. Booth. "The Evolving Food and Nutrition Agenda: Policy and Research Priorities for the Coming Decade." Food and Nutrition Bulletin. Accepted for publication March 2011.
• Walker, P., K. Hein, C. Russ, G. Bertleff, and D. Caspersz. “A Blueprint for Professionalizing Humanitarian Assistance: Good Intentions Are Not Enough.” Health Affairs 29, no. 12 (December, 2010): 2223-2230.
• The Humanitarian Response Costs of Climate Change.(co-author) Journal of Environmental Hazards. 2009 Vol. 8 pages 149-163
• Follow the money: A review and analysis of the state of humanitarian funding. (Co-author)Forced Migration Review, December 2007 33-36
• "Disaster Globalization: Evaluating the Impact of Tsunami Aid," Journal of Emergency Management (2005).
• "Is Corruption an Issue in the Tsunami Response?" Humanitarian Exchange (2005).
• "The World Conference on Disaster Viewed through the Lens of Political Ecology: A Dozen Big Questions for Kobe and Beyond," Capitalism, Nature, Socialism (2005).
• "Tsunami! Political Economy of a Natural Disaster," Praxis (2005).
• "Smoke and Mirrors: Deficiencies in Disaster Funding," (co-author) British Medical Journal (2005).
• "Why the greatest military and economic power in the world did not protect New Orleans," (co-author) Humanitarian Exchange (2005).BOOKS
• Shaping the Humanitarian World. Series on Global Institutions. London: Routledge. (with Peter Walker).