- PhD, History, Harvard University
- BA, Chinese Studies, Yale University
- MA, Chinese Studies, Yale University
- Director, Maritime Studies Program, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Past Director, North Pacific Program, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Senior Advisor, Japan Society of Boston
- Director, Japan America Society of New Hampshire
- Consultant, Policy Planning Branch, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Korea
- International (oceanic) history and American-East Asian relations
- Contemporary oceanic history including how and to what effect humankind is currently using the oceans
• The Flight of the Romanovs: A Family Saga (1999).
• Facing West: Americans and the Opening of the Pacific (1995), published in Japanese as "Nishi E!" (1998).OP-EDS
• "The Deep Blue Highway", New York Times, 2 January 2007, op-ed by John Curtis Perry, Scott Borgerson, and Rockford Weitz.
• "Navigating the Swirling Currents of Change", Straits Times (Singapore), 10 July 2006, op-ed by Rockford Weitz, John Curtis Perry, and Scott Borgerson.CoursesFALL TERMNOT CURRENTLY OFFERED