- PhD, Political Science, Institut Universitaire de Hautes Etudes Internationales
- License in Diplomatic Science, University of Ghent
- License in Political Science, University of Ghent
- Taught at Brown University, New Hampshire College and Graduate School of Development Studies, Geneva
- Winner of 2006 Guggenheim Fellowship
- Winner of 1999 Herskovits Award for most outstanding book on Africa
- Regularly consults for multilateral and bilateral aid agencies and ministries of foreign affairs, as well as NGOs
- Serves on the Editorial board for Kumarian Press and the Journal of Peacebuilding and Development
- Institute for Human Security
- Political and social dynamics in Burundi and Rwanda
- Innovations in development aid
- Post-conflict assistance and peacebuilding
- development and human rights
• Uvin, Peter S. "Human Security in Burundi: The view from below (by youth)." African Security Review 16, no. 2 (2007).
• Uvin, Peter S. "Fostering Citizen Collective Action in Post-Conflict Socities." What Really Works in Preventing and Rebuilding Failed States 1, (2006).
• Uvin, Peter S and Charles Mironko. "Western and Local Approaches to Justice in Rwanda." Global Governance 9, no. 2 (2003): 219-231.
• "The Development/Peacebuilding Nexus: A Typology and History of Changing Paradigms," Journal of Peacebuilding and Development (2002)
• "Difficult Choices in the New Post-Conflict Agenda: The International Community in Rwanda after the Genocide." Third World Quarterly
• "Reading the Rwandan Genocide," International Studies Review (2001)
• "Think Large and Act Small: Toward a New Paradigm for Development NGOs," (co-author) World Development (2000)
• "Ethnicity and Power in Burundi and Rwanda: Different Paths to Mass Violence." Comparative Politics (1999)BOOKS
• Uvin, Peter S. Life After War. Peace Seen from Below in Burundi. Zed Books, 2008.
• Uvin, Peter S. Human Rights and Development. 2004.
• Aide Complice? Aide au Développement au Rwanda Avant le Génocide (1999).
• The Influence of Aid in Situations of Violent Conflict (1999)
• Uvin, Peter S. Aiding Violence. The Development Enterprise in Rwanda. West Hartford: Kumarian Press, June 1998.
• The Hunger Report 1995 (1996)
• The International Organization of Hunger (1994)BOOK CHAPTERS
• Uvin, Peter S. "Silence and Dialogue: Burundians." In Localizing Transitional Justice, ed. Ann Nee Rosalynd Shaw, Stanford University Press, Forthcoming, 2009.
• Uvin, Peter S. "Ex-Combatants in Burundi: Why they joined, why they left, how they fared ." In Working Paper no. 3, World Bank MDRP, 2007.
• Uvin, Peter S. "Development and Security: Genealogy and Typology of an Evolving International Policy Area." In Globalisation and Environmental Challenges: Reconceptualising Security in the 21st Century, ed. H.G. Brauch, Springer Publishers, 2006.
• "Justice in Rwanda: International Aims and Local Perceptions," (co-author) Global Governance (2003)
• "Global Malnutrition and Hunger Since the End of the Cold War," Scaling Up, Scaling Down: Capacities for Overcoming Malnutrition in Developing Countries (Routledge, 1999).CoursesFALL TERMNOT CURRENTLY OFFERED