Fletcher Connect

Student Employment

Working on Campus

There are a variety of opportunities to work on campus during the academic year. Caution, however, is urged in making ac­ademic-year employment commitments. Most students find that 10-15 hours per week is the maximum amount of time they can spend on such activities. Students planning to engage in any outside work may wish to discuss this with their advisor.

Students are responsible for the proper com­pletion and submission of employment forms online through Employee Self Service. While both a student’s signature and that of his/her supervisor are required, the student must process the forms.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Fletcher students often serve as teaching assistants in the undergraduate departments of Political Science, Economics, History, and Modern Languages, or in the International Relations Program at Tufts. Occasional­ly, Fletcher students serve at other academic institutions in the greater Boston area as well. Students interest­ed in teaching assistantships should make inquiries directly to the individual departments of Tufts University as early as possible for full consideration.

A limited number of research assistantships are available, generally to second-year and doctoral students. From time to time, financial support is available under special research projects developed by faculty mem­bers.

Part-time Jobs at Fletcher

Part-time jobs are often available in administrative offices at Fletcher such as Ginn Library or the Offices of Admissions, the Registrar, and Career Services. The Tufts Student Employment Office has both hard-copy and online listings of jobs both on the Tufts campus and in the Somerville-Medford area. The Tufts University Student Employment Office website address is http://students.tufts.edu/financial-services/student-employment.

Rules and Regulations

  • You cannot begin employment before your I-9 has been verified
  • Please submit hours each week. Do not accumulate hours over multiple weeks.
  • It is recommended that students not work more than 20 hours while classes are in session, but can work up to full-time (40 hours) during breaks.
  • Students can be hired as temporary employees after graduation as long as they are eligible to work in the U.S.
  • For rules and regulations for international students, including how to obtain a Social Security Number, see the “International Students” section below. 

Please Complete the Following Process BEFORE you start working.

If you already have a Social Security Number

Please complete the linked form below. You will need your Student ID, Hourly Rate and Your Department ID to complete the form. If you do not have this information please contact your supervisor or the payroll office and they can help you obtain it. The information will be entered into the payroll system (via ePAF) once approval has been obtained from your supervisor. 

ePAF Web Form

If you are new to the payroll system, then you will receive an email from Human Resources with a link to complete the following information:

  1. Direct deposit banking information (Tufts only allows direct deposit; paper checks can only be issued for the first payment, while direct deposit is being set up)
  2. W-4 tax form
  3. I-9 Employment Eligibility Form

Once the online portion is completed, you will need to bring your I-9 document(s) from the eligible list to Tufts Shared Services for your I-9 verification at 62R Talbot Ave (small grey-blue checkered metal building set back from street). Please review the list of allowable documents before you arrive (https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents). If you are abroad and cannot do the verification in person, please contact TSS (Tss@tufts.edu) to set up approval for a location to verify your I-9 form.

International Students

Students are eligible for up to 20 total hours of on-campus employment while school is in session (hours worked in Fletcher, A&S, and other campus schools and departments combined may not exceed 20 hours). However, when school is not in ses­sion, full-time on-campus employment is permissible. On-campus employment is subject to the following conditions:


  • The student must maintain his/her student status;
  • Compensation for work must be made directly by Tufts University to the student; and
  • The student must continue to make reasonable progress towards his/her degree.


Please note that completing degree requirements constitutes the end of the academic program, at which time on-campus work authorization terminates.

If You Do Not Already Have a Social Security Number (SSN)

1)      Obtain an “Evidence of On-Campus Employment” form from the International Student Advisor in the Registrar’s office. (You may ask for help finding your SEVIS ID number [I-20 Certificate of Eligibility of Nonimmigrant F-1 Status], which is needed to complete the form.)

2)      Complete form with supervisor or Payroll Coordinator in Cabot 405.

3)      Return form to the Registrar’s office and obtain the signature and seal of the International Student Advisor, and collect an application for a new SSN.

4)      Bring the following items to the Social Security Administration office at 10 Fawcett St #1, Cambridge, MA, between the hours of 9:00am–3:00pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and 9:00am–12:00pm Wednesday:

  1. Original I-20
  2. Passport with an F-1 stamp
  3. On-Campus Employment form
  4. Arrival/Departure (I-94) record (print out most recent record from U.S. Customs and Border Protection website, www.cbp.gov/i94)
  5. SSN Application

5)      Once you obtain your SSN, report back to the International Student Advisor to enter into the system (it will be available the next day).

6)      Inform the Payroll Coordinator as soon as your SSN has been entered into the system by sending an email to fletcherpayroll@tufts.edu.

7)      Follow the steps in the section entitled If You Already Have a Social Security Number above.


Reporting Hours & Getting Paid

1)      You can report hours online via the following link.

Student/Temp Hour Submission       




2)      Hours are due for the prior week by Monday at 2:00pm.

3)      Payment will be via direct deposit every Friday for weekly employees, and on the 15th and 30th of the month for semi-monthly employees.

4)      The FIRST payment when you are put on to payroll will be via paper check. Checks will either be mailed to your local address on file or will be sent to the Fletcher Office of Admin and Finance, Cabot 405. Please ensure that your local address is up to date in SIS before beginning work.


Whom to Contact with Payroll and Hiring Issues