- Holds on Your Account
Emergency Contact Information Hold
1) Log into SIS.
2) On the "About Me" tab, click on the pencil icon next to "Emergency Contact" and enter your emergency contact's information. You may need to select "Add An Emergency Contact."
3) Once you've completed entering your emergency contact's information, hit "Save," and then log out and back into SIS.
Local Address Hold
1) The SIS system is not smart enough to recognize whether or not your home/mailing address has a local zip code. As a result, you must manually create a "Local Address" entry.
2) Log into SIS. On the "About Me" tab, click on the pencil icon next to "Address."
3) Select "Add New Address" and enter your local address information.
4) Once you've completed entering your local address, select "Ok." On the right hand side of the screen, under "Address Types," select "Local" and then hit "Save." On the final screen, select "Ok" and exit the address screen. Log out and back into SIS and the hold should clear.
Please review the attached flyer for information on removing a health hold on your account.
If you have a financial hold on your account, please contact the Bursar's Office located in Student Services in Dowling Hall (617-627-2000). Please note that the Registrar's Office does not handle tuition payments.
- Academic Calendar and Course Schedules
The Academic Calendar can be found on the Fletcher Connect Website.
The Fletcher Registrar's Office does not print the course schedules due to their frequent changing. The Fall and Spring Course Schedules can be found in SIS (click "Search for Classes" before logging into SIS).
- Registering for Classes
The attached PDF will give you step by step instructions on registering for classes in SIS.
- Information on your Academic Advisor
A Note About Advisors
Each incoming Fletcher degree candidate is assigned an advisor. We try our best to match up your first choice request, but at the same time ensure that advisees are spread out among faculty. Many faculty members are happy to meet with students who have not been assigned as their "official" advisee. However, please keep in mind that most faculty members are very busy at the beginning of the semester meeting with their assigned advisees and preparing for classes. We encourage you to consult widely among Fletcher community about course selection and program plans.
We strongly encourage you to reach out to your advisor at the beginning of the semester to set up a meeting. Many faculty members put sign-up sheets on their door, but you may also send your advisor an email. Contact information can be found in the Fletcher directory.
When setting up the meeting, it is helpful to bring an updated c.v./resume. Some faculty members may also request that you bring additional pertinent information (i.e. transcripts, statement of purpose..etc).
Please note that your assigned Academic Advisor does NOT have to be your Capstone Project Advisor. As you begin thinking about your Capstone Project, you should consult with potential Fletcher faculty members who may serve as a Capstone Project supervisor in the future.
- Family Interest Form
Dear Incoming Fletcher Student,
Dean Stavridis is thrilled to welcome not just you, but your entire family into the Fletcher community. We know that the decision to come to Fletcher is one made by you along with your families – spouses, parents, children, etc. and that there is a serious investment of time by all who are supporting you. The Fletcher School activities take our faculty and staff all around the world. If possible, we'd love to connect with Fletcher families when on these trips. We want to bring them in as part of the extended Fletcher family and we think we have some unique opportunities to connect with them.
Please fill out the below family interest form so that Fletcher is able to connect with the people that have encouraged you to become part of the Fletcher community so we can keep them in the loop. Please send the form to Robert Sherburne, the Director of Development in ODAR (Robert.Sherburne@tufts.edu). Please do not send the form to the Student Affairs Office.
Family Interest Form
Office of Development and Alumni Relations
- Fletcher FAQs
- I want to change my advisor. Can I do this?
If you feel you need to change your advisor, you may do so, but NOT until AFTER the Registration period. We recommend you consult widely among the faculty. In most cases, it is not necessary to actually change advisors. To change advisors, you must obtain the permission of the advisor you wish to change to in writing. Please note that your assigned advisor does not have to be your Capstone Project Advisor.
How do I cross-register at Harvard or Tufts?
Please visit the course registration page here for detailed instructions.
How do I audit a language class?
- Obtain a Cross-Registration Petition for Auditing Language Courses at Tufts University from the Fletcher Registrar’s Office.
- Complete the top, course information (make sure to include the proper section number or letter!) and sign.
- Obtain the Instructor’s signature.
- Return the completed form to the Fletcher Registrar’s Office (no other signatures are required).
How do I change my address?
You can change your address in SIS.
How do I register for an Independent Study? An audit?
Complete the respective form in the Registrar’s Office. Independent Study Forms need the instructor’s signature; audit forms do not.
How do I request a transcript?
With SIS you can readily request official transcripts online. They can be either held for pick up in the office or sent to any provided address (first class mail). We are unable to send pdfs of the official transcript via email. Official transcripts are free of charge. The processing time is normally about two business days, but during peak times could be up to five days. In addition to ordering official transcripts, you can also view and download an unofficial copy of your transcript.
I need an enrollment verification letter. How do I do this?
Please send an email to the Registrar’s Office, FletcherRegistrar@tufts.edu, and indicate whether you will pick up a hard copy of the letter in our office or if you need a pdf version emailed to you. Enrollment letters will be processed as soon as possible, normally within 1 working day. Please do not use SIS to order an enrollment letter. They do not come out nicely.
What’s my GPA?
The Fletcher School does not officially calculate GPAs on transcripts. However, that information is on SIS on the “Grades” screen. Students should be aware that such averages are one criterion in considering PhD candidacy, fellowships, and other awards.
- Canvas Information
Canvas General Information
Canvas is Tufts online platform to help facilitate teaching, learning, and collaboration. Faculty members use Canvas to post course information, syllabi, discussion boards, and administer exams. Tips on how to use Canvas can be found on the "dashboard" page once you log in with your Tufts UTLN and password.
- Ginn Library Circulation Policies
Edwin Ginn Library Circulation Policies
A valid Tufts I.D. card is required to borrow library materials.
Fletcher MA/MALD Loan Periods:
- Stack Books 90
- Reserve Materials 2 hours
Books and other materials held on reserve for course use may be obtained at the Circulation Desk. Course reading lists are available via iPads that are mounted at the Circulation Desk. These lists are annotated with call numbers, material locations, and other relevant information. A borrowing limit of two items per course at a time is enforced. Reserve books must be taken to the Reserve desk for renewals with the exception of materials in high demand.
Stack books may be renewed by accessing your account via the online catalog by selecting MY ACCOUNT. You may also renew your books in person at the circulation desk or over the phone (617-627-3935) unless the book has been requested by another persons.
Overdue Books and Fines:
Borrowers are responsible for all materials charged out in their name and are liable for the following overdue charges if the materials are not returned when due:
- Stack Books $0.25 per book for every day overdue
- Recalls $1.00 per day per item
- Reserve Materials $1.00 per hour per item
A first overdue notice will be sent within two days of the date that the material was due, and a second overdue notice will follow within two weeks of the first notice. Unpaid fines will be billed through the Bursar. If lost materials are reported to the Circulation Desk immediately, the borrower will only be charged for replacement and processing costs and will avoid overdue charges.
- Fletcher Dissertations
- U.N. and League of Nations Documents
Printing and Copying:
Members of the Tufts community who have a valid Tufts ID are eligible to open a JUMBOCASH account to print and copy. Accounts can be opened online at http://jumbocash.tufts.edu using either a Mastercard, Visa, or by mailing a deposit to Dining and Business Services. Deposit forms can be found at http://dining.tufts.edu. JumboCash Guest cards may be purchased for $1.00 at the PHIL station in the entrance of the Ginn Library. This is a one-time cost. The card is reusable and value can be added in increments of $1.00, $5.00, $10.00, or $20.00 at the PHIL station or $5.00, $10.00, or $20.00 increments at a VTS in Carmichael, Dewick, and the Campus Center. Any amount can be added online.
Book Renewals/Hours (617) 627-3935
Reference (617) 627-5021
For Ginn Library Hours, please click here: http://www.library.tufts.edu/ginn/hours.shtml
- FERPA Privacy Block Information
FERPA Privacy Block Request Notice and Instructions
What Is a Privacy Block?
A “privacy block” limits the University’s ability to disclose your directory information to third parties without your consent.
“Directory information" is personally identifiable information about you that, absent a privacy block, could be disclosed without your prior consent.
Directory Information consists of:
- Student’s name
- Address (both local and permanent)
- Telephone number (both local and permanent)
- Date and place of birth
- Academic program (school, degree, major, minor)
- Enrollment status (dates of attendance, full-time/part-time status)
- Degrees, honors and awards received
- Participation in athletics and student activities
- Most recent educational institution attended
- E-mail address
What Does a Privacy Block Do?
Implementing a privacy block is an all or nothing proposition. You cannot choose to have some pieces of information given out but not others, nor can you selectively choose to whom we can give out your information. You should be aware that we tend to err on the side of caution in terms of disseminating this information. As a result, some of the unintended consequences of putting a privacy block in place may be missed mailings, messages and announcements.
A privacy block will also have the following effects:
- Your name and directory information (name, college, major, year, phone, email) will not appear in the Tufts White Pages.
- The Tufts University Career Center will not be able to share your resume with employers.
- Calls to the Registrar’s Office regarding your status cannot be answered. This means that potential employers who are seeking verification of enrollment or degree granting will not be able to access that information from the University.
- Your name will not appear in the Tufts Commencement Bulletin.
- Your e-mail address will not appear in the Tufts email directory. The Tufts e-mail directory contains e-mail addresses for Tufts-affiliated persons. If you do not appear in the directory, it is not easy to find you by e-mail, unless someone knows your exact e-mail address. If you are a part of the Tufts e-mail directory, someone using the Tufts e-mail system can more readily find you, even if they only know part of your name.
- Even if you submitted a photo and/or bio, you will not be included in future editions of student directories and yearbooks. However, Tufts faculty members will be able to see your photo when looking at a class list online.
How Do I Request a Privacy Block (and what happens if I change my mind about it later)?
To request a privacy block:
- Simply add a privacy block in SIS by navigating to the About Me section, clicking on Privacy Settings and then Edit FERPA.
Students, who do not wish to have their information made available to third parties, should select the appropriate privacy setting through SIS as soon as possible.
If you change your mind about your privacy block, you can cancel it by editing the FERPA settings on SIS as indicated above. While you may request a privacy block at any time, please note that they are effective only prospectively.
- Higher Education Amendments of 1998
Dear Fletcher Student,
In compliance with the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, The Fletcher School at Tufts University providing this notice to all enrolled students of the availability and location of certain information to which you are entitled under Subpart D of Part 668 of Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations and under various federal and state laws.
The following information is available to any enrolled student or prospective student, upon request:
- Financial assistance information, including a description of the federal, state, local, private and institutional student financial assistance programs available to students; application procedures; eligibility requirements; criteria for selection and amount of award; methods of disbursement; the terms of, the schedules for, and the necessity of loan repayment and required loan exit counseling; the terms and conditions that are part of any employment that is part of the financial aid package; and the criteria for measuring satisfactory academic progress and how a student may reestablish eligibility for federal financial aid.
Source: Fletcher Student Handbook
- Institutional information, including the cost of attendance; refund policies; return of federal student aid (FSA) program funds when a student withdraws; academic programs, faculty, and facilities; procedures for officially withdrawing from the University; accreditation and licensure; special facilities and services available to disabled students; terms and conditions under which students receiving federal education loans may obtain deferments; information regarding the availability of FSA program funds for a study abroad program; and whom to contact for information on student financial assistance and whom for general institutional issues.
Source: Fletcher Student Handbook
- Your rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Source: Fletcher Student Handbook
- Annual Security Report and Drug-Free Campus Program
You will receive a notice by October 1 of the internet location of the Report.
Massachusetts Voter Registration Information.
Tufts University Policy on Sexual Harassment
Any information described above that is linked to an internet website is also available in paper form upon request to Office of the Registrar/Manager of Student Academic Program, The Fletcher School, Goddard 212.
- A paper copy of this policy may be obtained from the University Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action in Ballou Hall.
This notice is provided pursuant to regulations of the U.S. Department of Education published at 34 CFR Section 99.7 and Part 668.
- ADA Reasonable Accommodations Policy
Important Information About Tufts University Americans with Disabilities Act Reasonable Accommodations Policy
Please consider the following information as an introduction to Tufts University Americans with Disabilities Act Reasonable Accommodation Policy:
If you anticipate you will be in need of an academic accommodation, please contact Mary Dulatre, Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or, visit the Registrar’s office at Goddard 212.
For further information regarding the University’s Section 504 Policy, please go to: http://oeo.tufts.edu/policies-procedures/accommodation/
Please note, although it is the duty of the university to provide reasonable accommodations, it is the responsibility of the person with the disability to alert the university personnel of the need for accommodations. If you are planning to request an accommodation, please do so early, so that we can provide you with the best possible service.
We look forward to working with you.