Earlier this year, Dean Stephen W. Bosworth announced his intention to step down at the end of the 2012-13 academic year. At the time of his departure, the former U.S. Ambassador will have served as dean of The Fletcher School for more than 12 years.
“It has been a great privilege to lead and to serve this community—its students, alumni, faculty and staff,” Bosworth said an announcement on September 12. "The word community holds special meaning here at Fletcher… United in our pursuit of a more just, stable and prosperous world, our community lifts and compels us towards excellence in scholarship and in service to others and to each other."
A search committee has been established to identify the new dean of The Fletcher School. It will be led by Tufts University Provost David Harris and represent a variety of different perspectives. The committee will include faculty, alumni, administrators and students, all of whom share in Fletcher's sense of community and its mission to increase understanding of international issues through teaching and research. The following individuals have generously agreed to serve on the search committee:
- David Harris (chair), Provost and Senior Vice President
- Jenny Aker, Assistant Professor of Development Economics
- Eileen Babbitt, Professor of International Conflict Management Practice
- Lulu Cheng, MALD 13 degree candidate
- Ian Johnstone, Professor of International Law
- Michael Klein, William L. Clayton Professor of International Economic Affairs
- Leo Kosinski, PhD student
- Deborah Winslow Nutter, Senior Associate Dean, Professor of Practice
- Farah Pandith, F95, Special Representative to Muslim Communities, U.S. Department of State; Fletcher Board of Advisors
- Lynne Pepall, Dean, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Jeswald Salacuse, Henry J. Braker Professor of Law
- Gerard Sheehan, Executive Associate Dean
- Richard Shultz, Professor of International Politics; Director, International Security Studies Program
- Lisbeth Tarlow, F84, F97, Associate Director of the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, Harvard University; Fletcher Board of Advisors
- Rick Thoman, Managing Partner of Corporate Perspectives; Chair of Fletcher Board of Advisors
- Joel Trachtman, Professor of International Law
- Jennifer Weingarden, Senior Director of Development
Executive search firm Isaacson, Miller will be supporting the efforts of the search committee and working with them in the coming weeks to solicit input from the community on the criteria for selecting the new dean. All inquiries, nominations, referrals, applications (including c.v.s and letters of interest) should be sent electronically and in confidence to Tim McFeeley, Vice President at Isaacson, Miller, at email@example.com.
A position description is available here.